Frankfurt Germany History

The history of the city of Frankfurt am Main begins with a hill and a ford on the Main. From there, the city expanded and, due to its importance as a centre of trade and commerce in Germany, occupies a special place in German history.

As a result of the war, Frankfurt was annexed and occupied by Prussia, which belonged to the provinces of Hesse and Nassau. In 1806, however, the city was declared its own city and the province of Hesse - Nassau. During the Second World War Prussia occupied Frankfurt, as it had been incorporated into both provinces, both of which became the state of Bavaria under Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Frankfurt became part of the newly founded state of Hesse, which consisted of two provinces: the city of Frankfurt - Nassau and the province of Berlin. Frankfurt lost its independence as a free city after the annexation by Prussia in 1866 and then again in 1870 as the capital of its own province.

The Allies were brought together to restore their old rights and form a central board of directors under Baron von Stein and then again under the leadership of Baron von Schiller.

After Frederick I Barbarossa (1152), Frankfurt became the place of election and coronation of a German king. From 1147, elections for German kings took place in Frankfurt and after Emperor Friedrich II. After his election, Frankfurt had become the usual place for the election of German kings. The right to elect German kings was enshrined in the Golden Bull in 1356, but elections were held outside Frankfurt five years later. In 1358, the Frankfurt Assembly opened its first session and, after a long and controversial debate, produced the so-called Frankfurt Constitution, which the German Reich proclaimed on the basis of the principle of parliamentary democracy.

For a long time, the Main was the place where the German Emperor was crowned, but it was only at this time that Hesse played an important role in the Holy Roman Empire, which covered most of Central Europe.

By the end of the Middle Ages, Frankfurt had grown and prospered, and by this time, with over 1.5 million inhabitants, it was one of the most important cities in Germany. Industrial companies were founded, bridges were built, water pipes laid and an industrial park was built in the mid-19th century.

But above all, Frankfurt became a trading city, and the fact that it became the heart of Europe was probably a foregone conclusion. The Frankfurt Stock Exchange made Frankfurt one of the most important financial centers in the world, and commercial and banking capital offered a good view of today's "no-say" Germany, even if the fact that Frankfurt was heavily bombed during World War II had little Old World charm. When Frankfurt won the 1945 elections and gave Bonn the privilege of playing this role, it reoriented itself and became the capital of the German banking and financial sector, as well as the commercial centre.

This website is intended to commemorate the life of an American military family who lived in Frankfurt am Main during the Second World War and the post-war period.

In 1933, Frankfurt had the largest Jewish population in Germany, and there were about 30,000 Jews in the city, making it the second largest city after Berlin with a population of Jews. Frankfurt had long been a market town and Jews had visited and traded there, but after their return to Frankfurt a new epoch of history had begun for the Jews of this city. It was home to about 1.5 million Jews during the Second World War and was the third largest Jewish community in Germany after Berlin and Berlin and the second largest after Germany.

The Frankfurt Book Fair was still Germany's most important book fair, held in the city, a custom that was revived in 1949. It was a local wish in Frankfurt that a book fair be held every year, even though there was no annual fair. One could say that the Frankfurt Book Fair, or the "Frankfurt Book Fair," as it was called, was the local "Frankfurt Book Fair."

At the end of the First World War, aspiring - and - coming urban planner Ernst May was commissioned to create the "New Frankfurt." In 1405, Frankfurt acquired the old Frankfurt City Hall, which combined it into the new City Hall. The university subsequently flourished and now has a student base of nearly 40,000. Frankfurt established a Genealogy and Genealogy Advisory Centre in 1933, the year the NSDAP came to power.

When Frankfurt was occupied by US troops on March 29, 1945 and taken by the 5th Division of the US Army, General Dwight D. Eisenhower seized the building as the headquarters for his headquarters. Originally known as the City Archive, it was renamed the Institute for History of the City of Frankfurt, which is dedicated to the preservation of the city's heritage, the acquisition and the communication of Frankfurt's history. Amerika Haus Frankfurt is one of the most important historical sites in Germany and the world.

More About Frankfurt

More About Frankfurt